ISO 8124-3:2010 specifies maximum acceptable levels and methods of sampling and extraction prior to analysis for the migration of the elements antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury and selenium from toy materials and from parts of toys.
Maximum acceptable levels are specified for the migration of the elements listed above from the following toy materials:
- coatings of paints, varnishes, lacquers, printing inks, polymers and similar coatings;
- polymeric and similar materials, including laminates, whether textile-reinforced or not, but excluding other textiles and non-woven textiles;
- paper and paperboard, up to a maximum mass per unit area of 400 g/m2;
- natural, artificial or synthetic textiles;
- glass/ceramic/metallic materials, excepting lead solder when used for electrical connections;
- other materials, whether mass-coloured or not (e.g. wood, fibreboard, hardboard, bone and leather);
- materials intended to leave a trace (e.g. the graphite materials in pencils and liquid ink in pens);
- pliable modelling materials, including modelling clays and gels;
- paints to be used as such in the toy, including finger paints, varnishes, lacquers, glazing powders and similar materials in solid or liquid form.
The requirements in ISO 8124-3:2010 apply to the following toys and toy components of toys and toy materials:
- all intended food and oral contact toys, cosmetic toys and writing instruments categorized as toys, irrespective of any age grading or recommended age labelling;
- all toys intended for or suitable for children up to 72 months of age;
- accessible coatings, irrespective of any age grading or recommended age labelling;
- accessible liquids, pastes, gels (e.g. liquid paints, modelling compounds) irrespective of any age grading or recommended age labelling.
Status: WithdrawnPublication date: 2010-04
Edition: 2Number of pages: 21
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 181 Safety of toys
- ICS :
- 97.200.50 Toys
ISO 8124-3:2010Stage: 95.99
Corrigenda / AmendmentsWithdrawn
ISO 8124-3:2010/Amd 1:2014Withdrawn
ISO 8124-3:2010/Amd 2:2018
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.